Wednesday, April 1, 2015

My Last Ever Banshees Show aka Read This Feel Because You Feel Bad For Me

Tonight marks my last ever Lilting Banshees show. For those of you who don't know, The Lilting Banshees are a Wake Forest sketch comedy troupe of which I have been a member since 2011. 

What's that? You want to travel back in time so that you can personally experience my beginnings as a Banshee?? Well, that's a little demanding....and impossible...but what I can do is share two key anecdotes here in the written form! HOORAY!!!!!

August 2011 - my first interaction with the Lilting Banshees. 

I was sitting on the quad participating in Wake's annual orientation picnic. While my parents tried to give me some last minute advice about laundry or something, I was busy killing it with all my new Wake friends (this is a definitive fact. Every freshman I met during orientation thought of me as a relatable trend setter who was surprisingly humble for being so pretty). 

Then, out of nowhere, a group of upperclassmen were running through the picnic in animal costumes.    They were yelling and handing out big bright yellow fliers and, naturally, one of these fliers ended up in the hands of Tricia Drew. 

She read the sign and said, "Caroline, it's a comedy group! This could be you next year!" 

To which I responded, "Ugh, Mom, no. Those people are weird." 

I kid you not, that was the exact conversation. Point 1 for Mom. 

September 2011 - my audition for the Lilting Banshees 

There are 2 specific events which led to me auditioning. The first being that I met an actual Banshee at an on campus ministry. He was talkative, southern, and Christian and I thought to myself, "Wow! I bet they're all just like this!" Plus (yes, John Allen I will admit it) I thought he was really cute. 

The second event was the real deciding factor that led to me auditioning. Are you ready for this major life moment? Are you sure? Ok, here we go...

I saw a big bright yellow flier taped to a walkway on the lower quad. It provided the location and time for auditions as well as this joke: "Because a gerbil is a great way to teach a kid about responsibility and three weeks later about death." That was, I thought, so perfectly hilarious that without really thinking about it I went to auditions that night. Truly, if I had not seen that sign I would not have tried out. THANK YOU TO WHOEVER WROTE THAT JOKE. 

Auditioning was one of the most fun things I've ever done, but no part of me thought I was getting in.  When I got my acceptance email (at 5 am the next morning) I was shocked. I also started to wonder how I was going to explain to my friends and family at home that I had just joined a "sketch comedy troupe." It has been my experience that once you're 18 telling people you're in any kind of "troupe" is an interesting conversation. 

Back to present day: 

For the most part, I've been trying to avoid thinking about this show as my last show, but I think the time has finally come to face up to the fact that after tonight I will no longer be performing or writing as a Lilting Banshee. I will not hang any more bright yellow signs at 2 am or run through orientation picnics as a publicity stunt. I will not sell any more $3 tickets or film strange videos around Wake's campus. I will never again be on stage in a white button down and khaki pants. 

This all makes me very sad, but this is not the point. The point is that all of these experiences have allowed me to be a part of something I really believe to be beautiful.  One of my most favorite and distinct memories is the feeling I had after my first ever Banshee performance. I felt so incredibly light and aware and happy. There is something about making people laugh that was immediately intoxicating.  For me, it was mainly because when you make someone laugh it's a totally unselfish moment of joy. Neither the performer, nor the audience is in control; instead, both are sharing in something so wonderfully silly that one side physically responds with laughter.  This might seem like an over-dramatic way to talk about what is often some pretty low brow humor (hello 420 jokes), but it really is how I see it. 

To all of you who attended the Banshee shows over the years, thank you. To all of you who let me into the troupe in the first place, THANK YOU.  To anyone who has ever laughed at a joke I made (from pity or otherwise), thank you, thank you, thank you. If you come to the show tonight, you will be seeing my last ever performance with the Lilting Banshees, but I feel confident in saying that it will not be the last time I perform altogether. As long as you'll let me, I am going to keep trying at this beautiful, silly experience that is comedy. 

So....yeah....show tonight at 8 or 10! Tickets are $3 and if you have any questions about how to get one just let me know! 

No comments:

Post a Comment