Monday, July 29, 2013

Space Jam Revealed To Be Documentary


Almost 20 years after its original release, creators of Space Jam bring shocking news to the public: this beloved film is actually a documentary. During an exclusive press conference held this week, Space Jam Director Joe Pytka gave away the long kept secret.

Space Jam Director, Joe Pytka
"When we first made Space Jam," said Pytka, "we never thought it would get so big. It was a documentary, so we figured maybe we'd garner some awards at a few small film festivals."

But much to Pytka's surprise, the movie took off.  Space Jam would capture the heart of America, earning an impressive $90 million in the US box office.

"To say we were shocked is an understatement.  All of a sudden, we had a blockbuster on our hands."

Even more to Pytka's and the rest of the Space Jam team's surprise, viewers thought the film was entirely fabricated. The presence of characters such as Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, and Marvin the Martian certainly contributed to their misunderstanding. Famed NBA all star and Space Jam lead, Michael Jordan, was available for comment.

Said Jordan about the misconception, "I couldn't believe that everyone thought I was that good of an actor. If I wasn't really playing with Lola and Taz and the gang, how could it have looked so realistic?"

A scene which Jordan swears "could not have been more real"
Pytka, Jordan, and others realized that to continue the success of Space Jam it was best to agree with (and thus not correct) their audience. Pytka explained that producers were so excited about the money rolling in that they were determined to let the American people think whatever they wanted. Of course, not everyone was happy about this decision.

"That was weally wude of them," grumbled Elmer Fudd, who this reporter found lurking on the edges of the press conference. Fudd was open about his anger concerning Space Jam's perception.

"We signed on to the pwoject in hopes to get dwafted into the real NBA. But who's going to hire a 'fictional chawacter?' Nobody. Here I am, still hunting wabbits.Which, if you haven't noticed, I'm pwetty tewwible at. I can't even say wabbits wight. You know what word I can say though? Basketball."

Elmer Fudd, Displaying His Lackluster Wabbit Hunting Skills
Naturally the question on everyone's mind is, why come out with the truth now?

"I guess there's two reasons," said Pytka. "For one, I'm a critically acclaimed director. I have over fifty pieces in the New York Museum of Art. I have an Emmy and a Grammy. I've worked with Madonna, Michael Jackson, and The Beatles. And yet, I'm still not a household name. I figured this would finally push me into the spotlight." At this point, the director fluffed his flowing hair and did his signature hand to the neck pose (see picture at top).

He then continued, "Secondly, I just felt kind of bad. There was a good number of people in Hollywood who knew the truth about SJ and decided to use the same tactics to market their not-so-popular documentaries. Years later, I now see I've started an epidemic, and the American public doesn't deserve to be lied to. Maybe if I come clean, other directors will as well."

Pykta referenced a number of documentaries-turned-fictions such as: Spy Kids, Air Bud 2, Agent Cody Banks, and, more recently, Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs.



No comments:

Post a Comment